Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Superheroes to tackle the City2Surf

On Sunday, Carlos Romero and his family will take on The Sun-Herald City2Surf to raise funds for Mission Australia. Here he shares why this event – and the cause – means so much to him.

"As the Telstra Operations Manager of the Social Services and Not for Profit Sector I have built a great relationship with Mission Australia over the past six years - a place where motivation and inspiration are easy to find.

Missionbeat is one of my favourite Mission Australia services. It’s headed up by one of Sydney’s most influential and inspirational people when it comes to social welfare - Daniel Strickland. I follow Daniel on Twitter and Facebook and he was my first motivator to get started with City2Surf. I have always wanted to compete against Daniel - and win!.

This is my first time doing City2Surf and I will be running alongside my family. It’s also the first time they have run beside me in such a large-scale event, or anything that involves running or walking more than 80 metres. I think my wife and kids are excited about the prospect of beating me at something sports related (all the sporting trophies at home currently have my name on them).

Training with kids
Kids, as we know, are generally never still; even when mine are enjoying an ice-cream at home they are constantly on the move. So when it came to training, their regimes were much cheaper than mine.

Having exciting race-day attire is important in my family and money saved on training has since been spent on outfits for the day. Celio, 2, will be sporting a Superman costume but his older brother Marcius, 4 (both pictured) thought Spiderman was by far the superior option. I have a strong feeling they will cross, or fly, over the line well before their father.

My training has been going well, since moving to our new house in Parramatta. While we had wanted to build a huge state of the art training facility much like the ones used by Olympians and the very fit NRL stars at Moore Park, we could only afford a cheap exercise bike.

It’s come to my attention that those very fit NRL Sydney Roosters have been training Daniel and the Missionbeat team, but I don’t feel they will be a match for my cheap exercise bike. I also have an added advantage over Daniel in this race. However, I cannot disclose all my secrets in this article, you will have to stay tuned to find out more! I will say this though; it is something I intend to wear to rival Daniel’s rainbow shoes.

Putting the fun into fundraising
I feel City2Surf and fundraising are a perfect match, it brings the ‘fun’ and ‘raising awareness’ onto the world stage, and brings a few laughs with it too. On a serious note though, it’s a joy to be able to help others in need, especially when God blesses a positively charged middle-class male with a good family, good health, a little wealth and plenty of good times.

With this attitude, one lives life without counting dollars and cents, but counting sense in community partnership, in social justice and in personal success towards bridging the wide gap between being very poor and very rich, which means a lot more to me.

The prize at the end of the day for me is raising money for people less privileged than me, knowing that they are being looked after by Mission Australia. Regardless of whether you are first or last, the best part of reaching your destination is the long and winding but memorable road that leads you there."

Support our superheroes
If you’d like to get behind any of the teams running in support of Mission Australia – including those MA Team runners from our Sydney homeless services who are being coached by the Sydney Roosters - visit this page. You’ll also find links to other fundraising events, such as our 2011 Winter Sleepout.

No comments:

Post a Comment