Wednesday, August 10, 2011

City2Surf novice speeding ahead

On Sunday, Sook Smith will run her first City2Surf to raise funds for Mission Australia. Currently one of the event’s Top 10 fundraisers, she’s already off to a great start:

"This is my first year doing The Sun Herald City2Surf. I’d thought about it over the last few years but wasn’t ready to commit. This year a few girlfriends are doing it so it was enough encouragement to get me to sign up.

Having my maiden run at 46 meant that I really needed to stick to my training. Making use of the intermediate training suggestions on the City2Surf website made this easier and I made the commitment to stick to my training no matter what. Although this sometimes had me running in my raincoat!

When deciding to fundraise it was important to me to pick a charity in Australia that supports Australians, especially youth, unemployed and homeless. Quite often we hear about charities in developing countries but sometimes we miss what’s in our own backyard. This is the reason I chose to support Mission Australia

Once I began fundraising I made the approach to the Jaques Stanmore Foundation, the foundation within our business - The Jaques Stanmore Financial Group (http://www.jaquesstanmore.com.au). I know them to be very supportive, but had no idea how supportive until they informed me that for every dollar I raise up to $3,000 they will match those funds. So of course my step was to figure out how to raise $3,000 to get the most from my fundraising!

I started off by emailing my friends, family and clients and was completely overwhelmed by all the support I received from them and from my business partners. The company was also kind enough to support me in having a fundraising morning tea where I put baking skills to work in the cake raffle, where the prize was a cake for any occasion baked by me.

I think fundraising is all about working to your own skill sets and being as creative as you can. My advice to others thinking about fundraising is Go for It. It encourages you to race better and with the help of email and the internet, it’s easy.

The run on 14 August is all about enjoying myself and the spirit and atmosphere of the event. Hopefully I get a good race time and the fundraising is an added bonus!"

Share the fun
Supporters can meet up with their sponsored runners after the race at a Mission Australia barbecue on Sunday. We’re setting up just over the finish line at Ramsgate Avenue, near the North Bondi RSL - so come along and grab a snag and a drink. Look out for the Missionbeat van and the Mission Australia banner!

To get behind our runners, including Team MA from our homeless services, visit www.fundraise.city2surf...

No comments:

Post a Comment