Thursday, August 12, 2010

A helping hand into a home

Not everyone’s a winner during a booming property market, as Adelaide mum Jane* knows only too well.

Winter 2009 was a time of precarious living for Jane and her three children, with the cold nights spent sleeping in motels and even the family car.

“We had to leave the home we were in as it was being renovated. Once the work was done the rent shot up and I couldn’t afford it,” Jane said.

“I put in over 100 applications but couldn’t find a place. I’m a full-time carer and if you’re not working it’s harder to get a lease.

“When you rent, all it takes is for something to go wrong – even something to happen to the owner – and you could be homeless.”

After months of uncertainty, Jane was referred to The Parks, Mission Australia’s Family Accommodation and Support Service in Adelaide’s western suburbs. 

Family Support Worker Helen Delaney moved quickly to help Jane prioritise her bill payments, organised for her to receive financial counselling and assisted the family into secure housing.

“Helen worked solidly to move me into a Mission Australia house,” Jane said. “She also did a lot of ringing around about bills, especially my storage bills, which kept the pressure off. If you’ve got an advocate from Mission Australia, things just go smoother, way smoother.”

Within two weeks Mission Australia moved Jane and her family into a private rental in a family-friendly suburb.

“My life is getting way better,” she said. “I have a roof over my head and it’s long-term and I’ve paid all my storage bills.

“I’m so glad we’re stable and not going anywhere and my older daughters can concentrate on school - being 13 and 11 and not having a home is very scary. And for my little one, just having a comfort zone is important. She’s now much more fun to be around.”

Jane particularly appreciated Mission Australia staff staying in contact to ensure her life was well and truly back on track.

“They kept in touch to make sure I was okay,” she said. “They don’t just get you on your feet and leave you; they make sure you’re properly solid.”

The positive outcome, according to Helen, was very much due to Jane’s determination to do the best for her family: “Her turnover from being homeless to settling into private rental took weeks. It showed just how dedicated she was to getting her life back on track.

“She is a great example of someone who just needed that extra bit of support. As we always say, ‘There but for the grace of God go I… You just don’t know where your life is going to lead you.”

* Name has been changed.

No comments:

Post a Comment