Monday, June 27, 2011

Kristin on her mark to make a difference

everydayhero.com.au/kristin_flanagan_GC

Mission Australia supporter Kristin Flanagan is gearing up to compete in the Gold Coast Marathon this weekend. Here she explains why the event is much more than just a test of endurance for her:

Just over 12 months ago I entered the Gold Coast Marathon event to run the 10km race. It was to be a very large milestone for me: marking the furthest I had ever run and the only time I had entered a running race that wasn’t a prerequisite at school. My family, friends and colleagues helped raise more than $500 for Mission Australia.

Over the past couple of months I have started running again and my sights are now set on completing a half marathon in the first week in July. Call me crazy, deluded, insane or just plain ill-advised: you’d probably be close to the truth. However, there is another reason apart from the obvious one of getting fit.

I worked at Mission Australia for two-and-a-half years, and although I no longer work there, I remain passionately committed to their extremely important and tireless work supporting Australians in need of assistance through their innovative programs and supportive framework. I figure if I can raise more than $500 for just doing a 10km race, chances are we may be able to raise more if I run even further. I have been blown away by contributions made by my friends, family and previous colleagues to my fundraising - together, we have raised just over $1,000.

For the record, I am not a runner. I don’t get a buzz from running and I don’t look forward to it like the passionate runners among us do. I get nervous before each run as I am worried I won’t make it and each step during a run is a hard. For me, this will be a labour of pain and test of my personal will in an attempt acknowledge and raise awareness for people who are less fortunate than myself.

I acknowledge their debilitating daily struggles, most of which I cannot even imagine, and I hope the contribution we can make through this fundraising attempt will be able to assist someone transform their life from one filled with despair to one of overflowing with hope.

Half marathon here we come...

If you would like to donate to support, please visit my page at everydayhero.com.au/kristin_flanagan_GC

How you can run for a reason
If you’re preparing up for a winter marathon or fun run, why not join Kirsten in helping Australians in need?

To support to Mission Australia while getting fit, simply follow one of the links below to your chosen event, register online and select Mission Australia as your charity of choice. We can help you set up your own unique fundraising page to share with your friends and family so that you can start fundraising to transform lives.

Events:

No comments:

Post a Comment