Sunday, February 13, 2011

Misha's life has turned around

Misha* started drinking when she was still in high school. Like so many teenagers, she thought having a few drinks would make her feel more confident and less anxious. It never crossed her mind that one or two drinks would quickly lead her into the relentless grip of alcohol addiction.

Rather than helping her to relax, alcohol only fuelled her anxiety. By the tender age of 17, this teenager who once sparkled with life was a “suicidal and hopeless” alcoholic. “My life was being wasted,” says Misha. “I felt like my future was going nowhere. Mentally, I was in a bad place and I couldn’t dig myself out of it.”

Then Misha reached out for our help, and thanks to loyal supporters like you, we were able to be there for her. By the time she arrived at our Drug and Alcohol Youth Service (DAYS), years of drinking had taken their toll on Misha’s mental and physical health and her feelings of self-worth.

 “The first few days were the hardest,” she recalls. “I really wanted to give up. But then I thought about all the hurt I was causing my family and how much I wanted to change my life. I thought about all the effort I’d put in so far, and I knew my family was so proud of those small steps. I didn’t want to let anyone down.”

The DAYS Residential Rehabilitation Program is the only youth program of its kind in Western Australia. It is a 24-hour, seven-days-a-week program that offers intensive support to youth who are battling drug and alcohol addiction. DAYS supports at-risk young people to reach their full potential by minimising drug-related harm, through education and support.

Support young people in need today.

*Name and image have been changed to protect the identity of our client.

No comments:

Post a Comment