Monday, February 14, 2011

Hope through hospitality

More Melburnians are finding out about the innovative work being carried out at Mission Australia’s Charcoal Lane thanks to features running in six Fairfax community newspapers.

Trainee Marley Kennedy and Head Chef Craig Hicks were interviewed by Mary-Jane Daffy and photographed by Teagan Glenane for a feature on the how hospitality can be used to tackle disadvantage.

Marley, 25, who is nearing the end of her traineeship at Charcoal Lane, talked about the positive impact the restaurant has had on her life:

"I wanted to connect with the Indigenous side of it all, to be able to pass on my knowledge about our culture and food to others," she said. "I feel like I'm embracing a positive outlook. I have cousins up in Albury who look at me and see that if I can do it, they can do it.”

She has since been approached to work at a resort in Uluru: "I feel like I'm getting into a new period in my life, and seeing things I never ordinarily would have."

Interviewed just 10 days into his new role at Charcoal Lane, Craig Hicks said he aimed to deliver the very best training to his students.

"We are setting up training sessions where they (the students) get sent out to a bakery, a butchery, a piggery and learn all the different skills," he said.

You can read the whole article on The Northern Weekly site

Taste of Reconciliation

If you’re in Melbourne on Sunday 6 March why not sample the unique native flavours of Charcoal Lane at the Taste of Reconciliation Bridge Lunch. Running for three hours from 1pm, this unforgettable outdoor dining experience on Melbourne's Sandridge Bridge celebrates the joining of Indigenous and non-Indigenous cultures.

Tickets are $120 per person for a four-course lunch with matched wines. There are only 300 places available for this unique event, so book early to avoid disappointment!

To learn more about this Melbourne Food and Wine Festival event, visit tasteofreconciliation.org

Visit Mission Australia's Aboriginal & Torres Strait Island resources page for our Reconciliation Action Plan (RAP), the latest indigenous news, current affairs and policy updates.

No comments:

Post a Comment