Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Stand up and speak out - response to Timana Tahu's Origin resignation

For those of you in AFL States, the eastern seaboard has been rocked over race related statements by Andrew Johns at the training camp for the State of Origin.

Over the weekend, Timana Tahu quit the NSW State of Origin team, accusing Andrew Johns of sledging other races.

In a statement released yesterday Timana said "I believe I am a role model for children and I did this [quit the team] to show my kids this type of behaviour is wrong.

"This isn't about me or Andrew Johns, it's about arresting racism and standing up for my beliefs.

"Leaving Origin was a really big decision for me and I'd like to clarify that it was not just one racial comment directed at one individual that offended me. The remarks were directed at various races and the situation I encountered was totally unacceptable,” said Timana.

So, you may ask why I lead this blog with the story of racism in the NRL, well racism exists every where, in cricket, in the AFL, and in the workplace.

Some hide behind a stance of freedom of speech, yet forget the human and citizen rights of those whom they attack to live in a country free of racial vilification.

I have met Timana on a number of occasions and I guarantee his stand is not to make himself a hero; it is to bring to the attention of the average person how confronting the language we use can be, and how much pain can be inflicted. In the NRL and the AFL nearly one third of players are of Aboriginal background.

If you are offended by language that is used you have a right to state its impact on you, without this stand we are allowing the comment-makers to assume support. Remember that up to 30 per cent of Mission Australia clients are of Aboriginal background.

If you hear someone making racial comments you too can stand up and speak up.

Today's piece is from Steve Cochrane - Mission Australia's National Aboriginal Advisor. 

Read more about Steve's work at our Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander page: www.missionaustralia.com.au/community-services/aboriginal

No comments:

Post a Comment