Thursday, May 5, 2011

Mums staying connected at Chigwell House

With Mother’s Day coming up, we’d like to share some wonderful feedback we received from Amelia*, one of the mums who benefited from our Parents Staying Connected Program at Mission Australia Centre Chigwell House in Hobart.

The program is one of many offered at Chigwell House to help people address personal issues and secure and maintain stable housing. Parents Staying Connected provides opportunities for families to access ongoing learning and play sessions, create links to education and parenting support, attend social events, increase confidence and work in a community garden. It’s designed to help families to work toward brighter futures for themselves and their children.

Amelia is a 22-year-old single mum of two children under five who has turned her life around thanks to the Parents Staying Connected program. Here she kindly shares her experiences about the support she received at Mission Australia Centre Chigwell House:

“When I went into the Parents Staying Connected Program I was scared how people would treat me, look at me, think of me! My confidence was very low as I have just come out of a difficult relationship and living from place to place. My two children are very clingy and won’t leave my side, but when I walked into Parents Staying Connected at Chigwell House we were very welcomed!

“I sort of didn’t know how to approach people and what to say. I was very nervous about meeting new people as I thought everyone there had normal relationships, a house and everything was sweet. I felt so alone and depressed. I remember just saying to myself ‘just open up and be me’, so I did and I got along with everyone. The kids and I played and laughed and I had a really good time.

“Staff made me feel like I had always been a part of the group and I chatted with other mums about everyday things and the time flew by. I was really wrapped in myself and the kids. My son kept on asking me ‘Mummy, when’s playgroup? Can we go now?’ That made me smile as he was never like that before.

“It was also great to see some friends I went to school with there. As time went by I got some really close friends now who have been through the same as what I went through. I finally wasn’t going through it on my own.

“My children are now starting to go and play with other children - they wouldn’t do that before. I was so wrapped when I heard I could do a first aid and Save a Mate course there, so I can further my skills and my children could come with me. I have now done these and I’m really happy where I am at. I have now got a house, my kids are happy and we look forward to going to Parents Staying Connected every week.

“It’s now just over a year since I started coming to Parents Staying Connected, staff from Mission Australia have helped me put my children into day care so I can study community services. My aim is to work with the youth. My children are happy, my depression and anxiety are up and down but under control as I’m building my future.

“I feel that I have came along way since starting Parents Staying Connected and I hope my future goals come together and my confidence builds stronger every day.”

You can help build brighter futures

On 25 May Mission Australia is hosting The Ultimate Taste Test at Cooleys Hotel, Moonah, to raise funds for Mission Australia Centre Chigwell House and support more families like Amelia’s. Guests at this secret five-course degustation will be asked to guess the key ingredients in each dish and the type and origin of each matching wine. Tickets are $120, including five courses with paired wines. For more details or to book call Erica Loring on (03) 6234 3240 or email loringe@missionaustralia.com.au.

You can also assist Mission Australia to help more families and children to get their lives on track by making a donation to our Winter Appeal.

*Name has been changed

No comments:

Post a Comment