Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Still caring after 75 years

Colin Shipway has enjoyed a long connection with Mission Australia, starting out as a volunteer with the Sydney City Mission – one of our founding organisations – back in 1936.

Seventy-five years later, Colin is still passionate about helping people to transform their lives. At a recent event held at the Country Women’s Association in Bowral, NSW, to thank our long-term supporters, Colin reminded guests that while the society has changed, compassion was still very much alive in modern Australia.

Here is an extract of what he shared with his fellow supporters and local Mission Australia staff from Big Heart Enterprises and Triple Care Farm – the Sir David Martin Foundation-supported residential program for young people experiencing homelessness, substance abuse and mental health issues:

“Let’s start at the beginning. In 1860 a young British migrant, Benjamin Short, left England for Australia. In his homeland he had taken part in gospel meetings held by the London City Mission… In 1862 he established the Sydney City Mission, which had the motto of ‘Need, not creed’.

“In 1936, I became a volunteer worker at the Paddington branch of Sydney City Mission… which is where I met my wife. After bible college training, I was invited to join the staff as a City Missionary. I served in Chippendale, Glebe, Waterloo, Newtown and Surry Hills and later in the office.

“In 1949 I was commissioned to set up a youth department and children’s and youth camping program. Sydney City Mission had property near Bowral adjoining the Mount Gibraltar Children’s Home, complete with huts built during the war by the Royal Australian Air Force.

“My wife Rosemary and I as well as staff and volunteers ran camps in Mount Gibraltar for 16 years – and I estimated that 3,000 young people from Sydney benefited from these programs. They enjoyed pictures and campfires, sang, played sport, caught yabbies, swam and went on bus trips. On one occasion when I was climbing with a group of boys, one little fellow grabbed my hand, looked up to me and said: “Gee, I wish you were my dad - and I melted on the spot...

“In the 1960s I was brought into City Mission office to set up a family counselling service and attend to the admission of children into our homes at Cronulla, Woodford and here at Bowral.

At first these homes were for malnourished children or those who needed a holiday in the country, but then more children were coming from broken homes… As society changed, long-time care of children in homes was seen to be inappropriate, so the homes closed and we worked to support child to stay with their own families.

“I was involved with Sydney City Mission for 39 years, working as a City Missionary for 32 - I’m now in my 90th year… I’m happy to say that today all around Australia lives are continuing to be transformed by the ever-increasing work of Mission Australia.”

Thank you, Colin, for your inspiring example and tireless support of children and families in need.

Mission Australia is always looking for volunteers. Find out how you can use your time and talents to help transform lives - missionaustralia.com.au/volunteer-at-mission-australia

No comments:

Post a Comment