Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Ban the booze for FebFast and help young Australians

When she was in high school, Carrie* started drinking alcohol every day to feel "happy and numb".

Then, after receiving disappointing Year 12 results three years ago, her life "spiralled out of control" and alcohol began to take control.

"I was a bit suicidal, a bit hopeless and my future was going nowhere," she said. "Mentally, I was in a really bad place and I couldn't dig myself out of it. I was hurting my family really badly."

After receiving counselling, she stayed at the Drug and Alcohol Youth Service (DAYS) in Perth for three weeks.

This program, which is a partnership between Mission Australia and Next Step, provides young people with drug and alcohol issues and their families with a comprehensive range of support services.

"The first week was terrible," Carrie recalled. "But I didn't want to leave because I'd put so much effort and planning into coming (to DAYS) and my family was so proud. I didn't want to let anyone down, least of all myself.”

Carrie is now studying writing at university while working at a pharmacy. She credits DAYS with helping save her life and is participating in FebFast to raise money for the centre.

"DAYS changed my life so much," Carrie said. "I don't like to think about what would have happened if I hadn't (stopped drinking), but I dare say I would probably be taking drugs by now and be waking up in hospital."

FebFast asks people to take a break from booze throughout February in order to raise funds for Mission Australia youth support services.

By taking part you will be supporting services such as DAYS; our Hindmarsh Centre’s after-hours mobile youth support service in South Australia, and Youth Beat, which reaches out to young people from it's base at Chigwell House in Glenorchy, Tasmania.

Time is running out, so register today at www.febfast.com.au (or click the FebFast link on our home page). You can kick-start your fundraising by donating $25 ($10 concession) as a registration fee.

*Name and image have been changed

No comments:

Post a Comment