Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Conan Doyle stung in Manly

The author of the Sherlock Holmes stories, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, visited Manly in December 1920. Following a busy lecture tour of Australia, he and his family had a ten day rest at the Pacific Hotel, Manly. He wrote:
“Here we all devoted ourselves to surf-bathing, spending a good deal of our day in the water, as is the custom of the place. It is a real romp with Nature, for the great Pacific rollers come sweeping in and break over you, rolling you over on the sand if they catch you unawares. It was a golden patch in our restless lives. There were surf boards, and I am told that there were men competent to ride them, but I saw none of Jack London’s Sun Gods riding in erect upon the crest of the great rollers. Alas, poor Jack London! What right had such a man to die, he who had more vim and passion, and knowledge of varied life than the very best of us. Apart from all his splendid exuberance and exaggeration he had very real roots of grand literature within him...
There is a grand beach at Manly, and the thundering rollers carry in some flotsam from the great ocean. One morning the place was covered with beautiful blue jelly-fish, like little Roman lamps with tendrils hanging down. I picked up one of these pretty things, and was just marveling at its complete construction when I discovered that it was even more complete than I supposed, for it gave me a violent sting. For a day or two I had reason to remember my little blue castaway, with his up-to-date fittings for keeping the stranger at a distance.”
In Conan Doyle's late collection of Holmes stories, The Case Book of Sherlock Holmes, published in 1926, there is a story The Lion's Mane, which hinges upon the devastating effects of a jellyfish sting. i wonder if the Manly incident was in Doyle's mind as an inspiration for the incident? In the story, Holmes remarks: “You will know, or Watson has written in vain, that I hold a vast store of out-of-the-way knowledge without scientific system, but very available for the needs of my work. My mind is like a crowded box-room with packets of all sorts stowed away therein -- so many that I may well have but a vague perception of what was there.” A perfect description of the author's own technique!

No comments:

Post a Comment